Thursday, August 23, 2012

Runnin' runnin' runnin'

Once I got over the burning calves, heavy breathing, and butt jiggles the extreme need for compression pants and an extra sports bra, I really started to enjoy running.

It all started out by running half a mile a few times a week.  I would be sore for a day after a short run, which was super discouraging.  I'm totally serious when I say that I owe a great deal of my running success to compression pants.  All that extra bouncing around created soreness I couldn't even begin to explain -- not that you'd really want to read about that, anyway.  With the introduction of jiggle control, my endurance improved.  Instead of focusing on the discomfort, I started to learn to focus on the goal and the end result.

The first time I ran a full mile occurred one day while Charlie was working.  I was home and feeling restless, so I pushed myself out the door and made the pledge that I would make a mile -- and I did it.  I called Charlie immediately following the run, gushing all about the excitement I was experiencing.  Then I said something along the lines of, "And when it was over, I really felt like I could have run even more!"  After that crept out of my mouth, I realized how much of a mental battle running can be.  Ever since then I haven't settled for any less than a mile, especially since losing some of the weight that wiggled around.

                               Before: July 4, 2011.  After:  August 21, 2012

There's no doubt -- running is still a challenge.  Some days, it just isn't fun.  Some days, my legs just don't feel good.  I never really know until I get out there.  So, we just go.  At the very least, we are out for a mile and getting the dogs some exercise as well.  And now that TX seems to be creeping into fall early this year (which really just means we might be escaping anymore 100 degree days), the nasty weather simply doesn't make a good excuse! 

So, we continue to get our running legs back into shape!  That half marathon is totally happening!

Oh, and before I forget -- today was weigh-in day...and I am down 1.1 lbs this week! 

Starting weight, October 2011:  220
Today's weight:  161.8

No comments:

Post a Comment