Monday, April 16, 2012

Blame it on the Alcohol...but own it.

I've been away for a while, but I'm back!

The weigh-in last week (Thursday 4/12) didn't go as I hoped, but crossing fingers doesn't count as a weight loss trick.  I didn't lose any weight, but I also didn't gain any.  I stayed right at my previous weight.

One of the great things about Weight Watchers is the tracking method.  It was no surprise that I hadn't lost any weight -- looking back on the week, there were a great deal of choices I made that weren't the best for me, especially when it came down to drinks.

Celebrations, like holidays, are tough times to stick to diet plans.  Simply spending time with friends who have no worries about watching what they eat can also make your will crumble.  Sure, I'll have a breadstick...or two...can I have more cheese on this one?  Should we just get a pitcher of beer?  It'll be more cost-effective.  It goes on and on.  And I made this mistake, and I will own it.  No one made me eat a slice of pizza, and no one made me drink a beer or two.  And I am not concerned with my having done this one evening, but Easter and a meal out AND a lack of exercise certainly did not lend a helping hand in getting closer to my goal.  But that's on me.

I will not dwell on one unsuccessful week.  Instead, it's important to learn from the choices I've made and continue to pursue my goal with the same excitement and patience that I have had since the beginning.  I've let this be a lesson in self-control.

Once the introduction of alcohol (delicious, caloric, enjoyable alcohol...) has made it to the table, our will to watch what we eat becomes more dilapidated.  Throughout this journey, I've continued to indulge (yes, just like brownies or fondue, alcohol is an indulgence) in the occasional glass of wine with dinner, beer with popcorn, or cocktail with friends.  In doing so, it's important to tailor the rest of the day's choices and create a limit.  Once you've indulged too much, you're less likely to make good food choices, but we already know this, right?  It's just important to remember that the good ol' college-style run to Taco Bell after a night of drinking really isn't a great idea...and really never was (but I don't regret it! Haha). 

In your weight loss journey, don't dwell on days gone "not so well".  Review, learn, and move on...and don't get sloppy on cosmos.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment